Monday, April 2, 2018

Happy Birthday Card

This year is flying by super fast, I can't believe it's already April! Although the weather can't decide if it wants to be warm or cold. It was really nice for a couple of days and now if feels like January again. That's okay, I use these cold days as an excuse to play indoors in my craft room.

Since I spent the majority of March making Easter cards I was happy to see a couple of birthday challenges this morning. The colors for this Happy Birthday Card were inspired by the photo inspiration at the Inky Paws Challenge. It was also clear I needed to use the Newton Loves Cake stamp set by Newton's Nook. The image was colored with Copic markers and then fussy-cut (don't look too close, I don't excel at fussy-cutting). Mixed media paper and distress oxide inks were used to make the yellow background. Oxide colors include: Squeezed Lemonade and Fossilized Amber. When I sprayed the paper with water and heat set with the heat gun it really didn't "spot" like I was hoping. So, I tried splattering white acrylic paint and you really can't see it. Then I decided to spray gold glimmer mist but the bottle was clogged, so I used a paint brush and painted the gold glimmer liquid around the edges of the yellow background. It did add a really nice shimmer that doesn't photograph well, but it looks really pretty in person. The plaid scalloped border was made using a Taylored Expressions cutting plate and patterned paper from the Hello Easter paper pad by Echo Park. To add a little more color three glimmer dots by Jolee's were added and that's it. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Challenges entered:

11 comments:

  1. You nailed the colours beautifully Andrea I can see the spotting and the white paint on that beautiful yellow background

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling card! Love the colors here! Super job on it! Thanks for sharing it with us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends!
    Sandy DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute kitty birthday card! Love the yellow background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling birthday card & perfect for any cat lover on your list! Thanks for joining our weekly challenge at QKR Stampede!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute kitty card! I always enjoy seeing Newton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Andrea love the colour combo and of course the sweet kitty image x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous birthday card! Love the colors and the distressed background! Thanks for sharing with us at Inky Paws Challenge!
    Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, such a cute image - and great setting for it. Thanks for joining the QKR Stampede weekly Anything Goes challenge. Dorothy S, DT member

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a delightful card, I love the colours and the backgrounds you've put together x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an awesome card! I love that the challenge photo was the inspiration behind your card! So cute!!
    Thanks so much for joining us at Inky Paws!!
    <3 Emily L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a darling card Andrea! I love how you used the colours from the inspirational photo on your cake. Thank you so much for joining us at the Inky Paws Challenge this week, hope to see your creations next week too. Hugs, Zsofi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Wishing you a crafty day! 😊